RAISING MY HAND toward the MARGINALIZING of CONFORMITY ...hmmm. In this dispensation the 3rd world man is the Trees and the Cosmopolitan Suit waving his plastic finger, is destined to wander the forest alone. LIGHT plateau - dark CORRIDOR; white black white black: I watched what I saw! The last TIME we gave ourselves to the moment may have been our last reFLECTion before the veil of tears reMINDed us that IT had been a Karmic death.

Monday, June 12, 2006

In Cairo circa DECEMBER '86

These guys we saw were the Israeli version of the European ex-pat. one would find abroad from their respective motherlands. Though the Israelis were by consignment still avid patriots, one would think. We, as representatives of job-ONE, as if we were of the American ethos, seemed enjoined looking at how the Israelis clean-clarity stood out from the glum cigarette smoking of the Arab citizens i.e. 3rd world is glum and not shiny though 3/4 of what we absorbed was submerged like islands in the deep (Simply speaking, we were just not seeing the whole picture.) These Israelis had built a loft & fixed up their hostel room down from our stark, unglassed windowed one on the corner of the building, 6th floor. I knew I was seeing Jews in an absolute & uncompromised situation (the polite tourist, if you will) than I had ever witnessed before e.g. it wasn't the synagogue or relatives, was going to be unforgettable for me. Rob, there with me exuded confidence & came from the recesses of his experience, but my proffering anything brought to the table had a sense of the provincial & unworldly. Still, in my mind I reviewed what I would tell them. And that was I know them, but I don't, and yet I would remember their aura of the traveler-absurdum (All they're doing is defending, so to speak) of merit because of their travails. (And yes, I see both sides: this is MY sense of things & I HAVE no currency w/the polity of disharmony.) This was also, however, a big brother scenario-they were my big bros., & though I would wear thin thinking familial-ly about the world, it really always gave me advantage at least predeceasing going into new situations because wondering what came next could be as good as intuiting the same.

1 comment:

blu lamar said...

Interesting observation - instead of post WW1 Paris, post Yom Kippur War Cairo. Instead of drawing Americans and Europeans, it drew Israelis. And, as you hinted at, the Americans after WW1 were disillusioned - lost their romance for war. But what of these Israelis. Its not the same - there is no comparison because the war is in their home - not over seas - thus no romance to lose - only the chance to immerse in another world - in one of the oldest cities in the world - though Arab, though predominantly Muslim - they can still find wine. I doubt they will find women though - although I wish them luck, who knows?